Monday, March 31, 2003

Easy Weekend


It was a funny feeling on Saturday morning to have finished training by 9:30am. Well, finished riding and running for the day.

I started the day by dragging my flatmate Shane down to do brick. I hadn't been there for a while, as I had been doing plenty of Ironman training, and had been meaning to take Shane down to brick for ages. There were about 25 people there, including about 3 new people. It was short and sharp, just what I wanted. I rode and ran with Leigh, who has entered Forster as a Pro, which will guarantee him a good swim start position (which is important for him, a 52min swimmer, but not as important for me, a 59min swimmer). We finished together with a easy run, congratulating ourselves on finished the last of our hard training. Woo Hoo.

That afternoon I did an open water swim out at Penrith lakes. When we got there, the Panthers Tri Club were in the midst of a club race - they had about 50 people in a Saturday afternoon sprint race, and all for $8. No wonder hardly any of them pay $50 and drive 1 hour to do a Kurnell race - they have it all at Penrith!

Sunday, I did a 3 hour ride with my mate Robbo. We cycled to Akuna Bay and back, spending a bit of time in the aero position. I think I need to raise my bars slightly, but the seat position felt OK. I am making a risk adjusting my bike now, but I think bull horns and a more forward position is more beneficial in an Ironman. As long as my back doesn't cramp up in the run...

Now the rest of my training sessions will be easy, with lots of rest. I will concentrate on eating lots of healthy stuff, stretching, massage and abs. I should have done more of that before, but it got lost once I increased the volume. Hopefully it will still give me some benefit.

No comments: